|1946|| Launched on 2nd October at builders A&J Inglis, Pointhouse, Glasgow by Lady Matthews, wife of LNER Chairman. The yard is now the site of the Glasgow Riverside Museum of Transport.|
|1947|| Entered service on 16th June, primarily on the London & North Eastern Railway (LNER) Craigendoran (railhead) service to Arrochar at the head of Loch Long.|
|1948|| Following railway nationalisation Waverley transferred to British Transport Commission ownership and received buff funnels with black tops.|
|1951|| Transferred to the Caledonian Steam Packet Co, former pre-nationalisation rivals of the LNER and the name adopted for the consolidated fleet.|
Deckhouses were repainted white - but paddle boxes remained, for the time being, black.
|1957|| Converted in time for the 1957 season to burn oil, replacing coal as fuel.|
|1959|| Black paddle boxes (LNER/BTC legacy) were painted "Caledonian" white.|
|1960|| Radar fitted.|
|1961|| Welded forward funnel replaced the original stack.|
|1962|| New welded funnel aft fitted - but the rake of each funnel was different, giving an odd appearance from various angles.|
|1965|| Received the "Monastral blue" hull colours of British Rail steamers. The traditional Caledonian funnel colour remained, but with the addition of red lions rampant.|
|1969|| Hull colour reverted to black as the Caledonian Steam Packet Company was taken over by a new state entity, the Scottish Transport Group.|
|1972|| Black paddle boxes restored. The Paddle Steamer Preservation Society was keen that the ship's status as a paddler was highlighted.|
|1973|| Following the merger of the Caledonian Steam Packet Co into Caledonian MacBrayne, the funnels were repainted red, with yellow disc and lions retained.|
Withdrawn from service in at the end September by Caledonian MacBrayne.
|1974|| Sold to the Paddle Steamer Preservation Society (PSPS) forefronted by Douglas McGowan and Terry Sylvester for a token £1 fee.|
|1975|| Re-entered service on 22nd May, owned by Waverley Steam Navigation Co on behalf of PSPS in colours approximating those of the LNER (but with white deckhouses).|
Sailed from Anderston Quay, Glasgow, where WSN also established their offices.
|1977|| On 28th April Waverley left the Clyde for the first time to cruise from Liverpool and Llandudno, celebrating the centenary of Llandudno Pier.|
Faced an uncertain future after running aground on the Gantocks rocks off Dunoon on 15th July and losing six weeks worth of vital revenue.
|1978|| Sailed from Stobcross Quay (where the ship's offices were also relocated) due to demolition of old offices and warehouses for urban renewal along the Clyde.|
Sailings extended to the south coast of the UK. Read more...
First visit on 29th April to the Thames and Tower Pier, setting the pattern for future seasons. Read more...
|1980|| Cruised to Cap Griz Nez off the French coast on 12/5/80 for 40th anniversary of Dunkirk evacuation - where the LNER lost PS Waverley (of 1899).|
|1981|| The original double-ended Scotch boiler is replaced with a Babcock boiler offering better operational and economic performance.|
Berth and offices relocated to Lancefield Quay as riverside redevelopment progressed.
The ambitious cruise programme involved circumnavigating the Great Britain for the first time.
|1983|| Third and final circumnavigation of Great Britain visiting the Western Isles, Bristol Channel, Thames, Humber, Tees, Tyne, Forth and Tay.|
|1985|| First visit to the Irish Republic and the Isle of Man.|
|1986|| Waverley's home berth reverted to Anderston Quay but the Waverley Excursions office remained at Lancefield Quay.|
|1990|| Sailed to Dunkirk for the 50th anniversary remembrance.|
|1998|| Awarded £7m Heritage Lottery Fund partnership funding for a comprehensive rebuild.|
|1999|| Changes to safety legislation delayed the rebuild and Waverley sailed as normal.|
|2000|| Heritage Rebuild Phase 1 commenced in January at George Prior Engineering, Great Yarmouth with Waverley receiving two new boilers.|
Returned to service in August.
|2002|| Returned to George Prior Engineering in the winter of 2002-03 for Heritage Rebuild Phase 2 with major works including rebuilding the Jeanie Deans Lounge, a new forward deck shelter and improved crew accommodation.|
|2004|| Plans for a new bridge over the Clyde would make Anderston Quay inaccessible, so Waverley moved to the south bank at Plantation Quay (at the Science Centre).|
|2011|| Expensive repairs and lost sailing time led to a national appeal to "Save the Waverley" and a rescuing donation from Euromillions lottery winners, the Weirs.|
|2015|| Appeared without the scumbling (woodgrain effect) on its deck saloons - due to the prohibitive cost and feasibility of renewing the traditional effect.|
|2019|| Entire sailing season cancelled on 10th May after both boilers are found to be beyond repair. Read more...|
Scottish Government gives £1m to boiler refit appeal. Read more...
Boiler refit appeal achieves 100% of target raising £2.3m with donations from over 8,500 individuals. Read more...
|2020|| Boiler refit begins. Read more...|