Flagship of our fleet, Paddle Steamer Waverley is the last sea-going paddle steamer in the world. Built on the Clyde in 1947 for the London and North Eastern Railway, she is named after Sir Walter Scott’s first novel and indeed carries a portrait of Edward Waverley on her paddle boxes. Waverley is powered by a triple-expansion marine steam engine. In 1974 she was gifted to the Society for the token sum of £1. She sails between April and October each year in the waters of Scotland, England and Wales.