Launched on 29th May 1852 PS Mountaineer was the first ship ordered by David Hutcheson & Co. (later David MacBrayne).
She was built by James & George Thomson at Govan for the Glasgow to Ardrishaig service. Originally 174 feet (53m) in length, she was lengthened by 10 feet (3m) in 1853 and a further 11 feet (3.5m) in 1871.
Her end came suddenly when she grounded in poor visibility on Lady Rock south of Lismore on 27th September 1889. Her 50 passengers were rescued and taken to Oban. She was stripped of fittings, funnels, paddles and some machinery until she broke in two during a gale on the 7th October, the aft portion sinking in deep water.