Clyde fleet busy – Caledonia has been employed largely on charter work where her passenger capacity of 1800 has proved useful. Although Jupiter has been withdrawn, almost the same number of sailings is provided by using the remaining paddlers and eleven motor vessels more economically. Waverley, built in 1947, and thought to be Clyde’s last paddler, is engaged on cruises to Lochgoilhead and Arrochar, and on trips up the Clyde from coastal piers to Glasgow. Jeannie Deans is the only member of the fleet to retain the black painted paddle boxes. Talisman has been employed on train connection runs from Wemyss Bay to Rothesay and Millport.
First Outing – A pleasant voyage, a fine ship and kind hosts brought a day of excitement and interest to a close on April 26th, when society members disembarked from the Princess Elizabeth after enjoying the privilege of attending her acceptance trials. Since being withdrawn last year she has undergone a very thorough re-fit at Northam and when the party reached the yard of John H Thorneycroft which once formed part of the well known firm of Southampton shipbuilders, Day, Summers & Co., they were met by the works manager. Princess Elizabeth, flying her new house flag, that of Torbay Steamers, was “as good as new”.