An illustrated talk by Paul Gregory.
Directions to the venue
Although the Yard has a very limited amount of car parking on site, Cumberland Road is currently closed eastbound and access is difficult. Members are strongly advised to use one of the following instead:
• The Brunel Lock Road or McAdam Way pay and display car parks at BS1 6XH. These are beside the Cumberland Basin and very close to the Underfall Yard. 4 hour maximum stay. Approach is via the Hotwells Road either from the west along the Avon Gorge or the east from the city centre, then onto Merchants Road and across the swing bridge over the Cumberland Basin. From the car parks it is a two minute walk along Avon Crescent to a pedestrian entrance into the Underfall Yard.
• Bristol Portway Park and Ride, Shirehampton, Bristol, BS11 9QE. This is near Junction 18 on the M5 and convenient for anyone arriving by motorway. Free parking and regular buses into the centre. Alight at Trinity Church on Hotwells Road and walk over the Merchants Road swing bridge to the venue.
• Bus from Temple Meads Station. We understand that the M2 bus passes the Cumberland Basin. See First Bus website for full details.
• Along the Cumberland Road there is a large car park at the S.S. Great Britain on Gas Ferry Road and a very small one at the Baltic Wharf Sailing Centre. However, due to long-term road closures these are only accessible from the east via the City Centre. It is a very pleasant walk along the harbourside to the Underfall Yard.
• Unfortunately due to Covid the harbour ferry service is not currently operating.