PADDLE STEAMER PRESERVATION SOCIETY
A charitable company limited by guarantee not having a share capital
NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN that the Thirty Fourth Annual General Meeting of the Paddle Steamer Preservation Society will be held in the Renfield Centre, 260 Bath St, Glasgow, G2 4JP at 1.30 p.m. on Saturday 16 October 2021 to transact the following business:
- To receive the Reports of the Council of Management and Reporting Accountant and the Society’s Financial Statements for the year ended 31 December 2020. This item will include reports on PS Kingswear Castle, PS Waverley, PS Maid of the Loch, other paddlers and the Society’s Archive.
- To note that Peter Morley has been re-elected unopposed to the Council of Management.
- Ordinary Resolution: To consider and if thought fit adopt the following subscription rates with effect from 1 January 2022.
|Senior Citizen couple||£27||£32||£5||18.52%||3.70%|
Please see the Explanatory Note which follows.
By Order of the Council
10 September 2021
8, Heugh Hall Row, Old Quarrington, Durham, DH6 5NW
- A booklet containing this Notice, the Explanatory Notes and the Annual Report will be available at the Meeting. The annual report is available here.
- An Open Forum will follow the formal business of the Meeting when members may also raise questions and points for discussion.
- Any member of the Society may appoint a proxy to attend and vote in his or her stead. A proxy need not be a member of the Society. Proxy forms must be lodged with the Secretary 48 hours before the meeting.
- To avoid the expense of reconvening the meeting if a quorum is not present, please consider appointing the Chairman of the Meeting as your proxy if you are unable to attend. A form may be downloaded further down this page. Under our Articles of Association, the quorum for a General Meeting is 30 members present in person or by proxy.
- Thanks are due to the Scottish Branch for making the arrangements for the meeting.
- Following the meeting, a film by C V Waine will be shown featuring Waverley in 1971, and Iain Quinn will share some of his favourite images of steamers in the 1930s.
Explanatory Note – Subscription Increases
Agenda Item 3 concerns the subscription rates from 1 January 2022. The last subscription increase was implemented in 2017. The basic increase is 2.4% on an annualised basis.
The Society’s finances were being adversely affected as the majority of annual members now pay the lower senior citizen’s rate. The 2017 AGM agreed to close Senior Membership to new and transferring members and now Council are proposing that the differential between the Ordinary and Senior rates is closed, with the eventual intention of its elimination. The present proposal is for an increase of £3 per year for the Ordinary rate and £4 per year for the Senior rate.
The additional cost of couple membership is proposed to increase from £9 to £10 in all cases. The calculation of the life rates is based on twenty times the annual rate plus compound inflation at 5% per year.
Proxy Form for 2021 AGM
Minutes of PSPS Annual General Meetings are available for the following years: